Fall 2017 Supervisory Success (An 8 Part Series)
September 7 @ 8:30 am - October 26 @ 12:30 pm
Space is limited – Register Here!
Supervisory Success – A Series for New Supervisors
Ideal for those new to supervision, newly promoted or those who are being “groomed” for supervisory and leadership roles.
Thursdays: September 7, 14, 21, 28, October 5, 12, 19, 26
As a Supervisor, you are the one in charge, but you know all too well that your
job description does not even begin to cover the many roles you actually fill on daily basis.
Hire employees… Communicate with a variety of people… Coach employees…
Motivate others… Deal with employee challenges… Write performance reviews…
Set Goals… Help the company make money… and so much more!!
This highly interactive series will cover the employment life-cycle and offer suggestion on the soft skills, too.
Each week new topics will be addressed. We will learn by doing… and we will cover:
Session 1: Supervisor Behavior/understanding the roles and responsibilities of a supervisor
- How to set the stage from day one
- Managing the perception of employees
- Effective role modeling
- Self-Awareness through DiSC: We will look closely at each participant’s profile Supervising vs. Leading
Session 2: Understanding You
- Emotional Intelligence
Improving your Communication
- Learn how to communicate in a more clear and specific manner
- Understand the value of attentive and reflective listening as one of the most important tools in your kit bag.
Using the DiSC profile, we will discuss the strengths each dimension offers and how to use to relate to staff/team.
Session 3: Conflict Management
Conflict is a natural part of our interactions with others. You don’t need to like or dislike conflict, you only need to grow to be very capable in managing it, and managing it well. In this program, we will learn to separate the emotions from the facts and logic that surround our conflict, and then apply a “process” for developing solutions and actively working toward resolution.
Session 4: Learning about your legal responsibilities, hazards, and new law changes
- This session will focus on the twelve most important employment laws that supervisors must have a working knowledge of.
- The session is team focused with an HR professional at each table to help you navigate how these laws apply to your role as supervisor.
Session 5: The Supervisors Role in Hiring and Retaining the right employees
- How to interview including what questions to ask and not ask
- Create behavioral questions
- Orientation vs. Onboarding
This session will be team oriented with each table being guided through interview specifics with a dedicated practice time with an HR Professional.
Sessions 6 & 7: Establishing the employee/supervisor partnership
- Understand what motivates employees and how to recognize them
- The value of performance management and maximizing individual performance reviews
- Using coaching conversations, to get the performance you need. How and when to use corrective action to avoid termination
The need and value of documentation
Session 8: How to build a team and get the most from them
- The essence of team work and connecting the dots for the BIG picture
The value of team building and the role everyone plays
Regardless of your supervising experience, you can always benefit from new ideas and skills that will keep you at your peak performance. This series is packed with solid tools and success practices to help you maximize your role and provide you with ideas to manage and motivate your team. Good Managers get Noticed! By learning new ideas, accepting them, and allowing yourself the choice of trying different management styles that have proven to work for other managers in these fast-changing times!
The individual sessions will include some lecture with large-group discussion time, small-group work, exercises, case studies, role play and occasional homework. A comprehensive binder of resources and reference materials will be built over the eight sessions and attendees will be responsible for reading material in advance of each class, and come prepared to apply their current knowledge and reading material. And, of course, opportunities to answer participants’ questions, too.
Instructors: Deborah Jeffries, SHRM-CP, PHR, CPC, Laurie Grenya, SPHR and Paul Hutter, SPHR
Cost: $625 ($525 for Advantage Plan Members)
Dates: (Thursdays) September 7, 14, 21, 28, October 5, 12, 19, 26
Time: 8:30am – 12:30pm
Location: HR Answers, Inc. 7650 SW Beveland Street, Ste. 130, Tigard, OR 97071
Space is limited – Register Here!
Calendar powered by The Events Calendar